3 lbs ground beef
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
pinch of thyme
bacon grease (or beef tallow, lard, butter, or ghee)
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 cup chicken broth (It’s all I had on hand, but I bet beef broth would be better.)
1 cup heavy cream
4 oz cream cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Mix all meatball ingredients together in a bowl. (Don’t be afraid to use your hands.)
- Form the meat mixture into 1 – 2 inch balls. You can do this the classic way by rolling small amounts between your hands to for the balls, or just use a cookie scoop and a spoon. (The spoon helps pack meat into the scoop and remove excess from the edges.)
- Bake meatballs for 35 – 40 minutes on a jelly roll pan or other baking dish with a lip or sides (to catch the drippings). Using a baking rack is also an option here if you want the fat drippings to be separated from the meatballs.
- While the meatballs bake, sauté sliced mushrooms and onion in bacon grease to desired tenderness.
- Add cream cheese and melt. Then add in chicken broth and heavy cream.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve how you like:
Spoon sauce mixture over meatballs in bowls.
Add meatballs and sauce mixture to casserole dish or large serving bowl and mix together.
Add meatballs and sauce mixture to slow cooker on low/warm setting and stir. This allows to keep the food warm until everyone is ready to eat.